A British mother remains in critical condition in an intensive care unit after her family was caught in a deadly landslide while on vacation in Australia.
A 14-year-old boy underwent surgery and is in stable condition, while a 15-year-old girl remains under observation, police said.
The family, on vacation from the UK, were caught in the landslide in the Blue Mountains, 100 miles west of Sydney, on Monday.
The 50-year-old father and a nine-year-old son died at the scene. Their bodies were recovered around 9:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
New South Wales Premier Dominic Perrottet called the incident “tragic” and said he would seek advice on whether the walking track should have been opened given the recent heavy rain.
“These tragedies happen too often, so anything we can do to keep people safe, we will do,” Perrottet told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on Tuesday.
“Obviously the Blue Mountains is a place where people like to trek. It is one of the wonders of the world, but when these tragedies occur, it would be remiss of any government not to act.
Following the removal of the bodies, the NSW Department of Environment and Heritage announced that the area was closed to the public until further notice and that a “full review” would be undertaken.
“(New South Wales National Parks and Wildlife Service) has a world-class program in place to assess geotechnical hazards and maintain the safety of walking trails and other infrastructure where possible,” the statement said.
“Unfortunately, it is not possible to predict and eliminate all natural hazards such as landslides, which can occasionally occur around the state.”
The ministry added that the walking track had been inspected in the days before the rockslide as part of a routine track assessment program.
A spokesperson for the British High Commission said: ‘We are supporting the family of a British couple and their children following an incident in the Blue Mountains.
“Our staff in Australia are in contact with local police.”