Welcome, Charlotte. I’m here in your inbox as usual to tell you everything you need to know about what’s happening in town.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout your big announcement at the top of the Charlotte Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate at your side! Submit your ad here.
Now, today’s weather:
A thunderstorm in the afternoon. High: 91 Low: 72.
Here are the top five stories in Charlotte today:
- It turned out to be an unexpected treasure, a hand-inked sheet measuring 4 by 5 feet drawn in 1855. Dubbed the Harris Map, it is the oldest known detailed map of Charlotte to date. (Charlotte Mecklenburg Library via Facebook)
- Charlotte Symphony in Performance returns to WDAV this Saturday! Tune in at 6 p.m. to hear your CSO play Beethoven’s Fourth, Prokofiev’s Classical Symphony and Mozart’s Clarinet Concerto with Principal Clarinetist Taylor Marino. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- NOW ON SALE: Five highly anticipated performances this fall! Get tickets today for our annual gala concert: An Evening with Rhiannon Giddens. (Charlotte Symphony via Facebook)
- We know you’ve heard it before, and we’re not trying to harass you, but these three simple tips can keep you safe in Charlotte. (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department via Facebook)
- We’ll be sharing stories of our incredible build of backpacks and basics over the next few weeks. but we wanted to warmly thank all our volunteers. (Class center via Facebook)
- Rebekah has been with us all summer guiding our students to summer camp. She graduated from UNC Charlotte where she received her BA in Theater Design and Technology with a minor in Dance. (Charlotte Children’s Theater via Facebook)
- Did you have the pleasure of meeting our web designers at Influx? Since Brave Step started in 2014, Influx has generously stepped up to help us build and maintain a website. (Brave step via Facebook)
- 101—TThis is the number of opportunities our scholars had at 12 sites to expand their summer learning enjoyment with various enrichment activities. (Charlotte Freedom School Partners via Facebook)
- I’m looking for someone to relocate my baby Aphrodite. I was struck by a life change that left uncertainties. The last thing I want is for my baby to be in an unstable environment. (The next door)
- Please be very careful when hiring someone for babysitting or other home services. Several families hired a babysitter through the Nextdoor app and this woman broke into their home and stole goods, jewelry…(The next door)
- Free toys and clothes for a 3-4 year old boy! If a mother needs it for her boy, I’d be happy to donate it. Please kindly contact me. (The next door)
- Did anyone on or near Tennyson Drive get a package with my name on it today? It shows delivered at 6:11 by USPS but I don’t have it and I don’t have the postman on my camera either. It is unfortunately a unique object. (The next door)
- Looking for a new fur baby? Buy this 10 week old Pomchi for $800. (The next door)
You are officially informed for today. See you tomorrow morning for another update!
— Alexis Goering
About me: My name is Alexis A. Goring. I’m an East Coast girl with a pulse for people, news, and reporting! I worked for 15 years as a freelance writer/editor/editor in the media industry. I’m also a published author, an experienced blogger, and the founder of Writer at Heart Editorial Services. Visit my website for more details about me and my work. Here is the link: https://alexisagoring.jimdofree.com.
Do you have a news tip or a suggestion for an upcoming Charlotte Daily? Contact me at [email protected]